Stories of St. Edward
Watson Squire moved to Seattle from New York in 1879. He worked for his father-in-law Philo Remington, the first recorded landowner, from whom he purchased this and other land in Washington State. He later became the last Governor of the Territory of Washington before statehood; then the first Senator from the new Washington State in1889. He sold this land to John McMasters.
This room was used as the original chapel prior to the addition of St. Thomas Seminary (now Bastyr University campus) and was converted into classrooms in the 1940s.
Photograph courtesy the Archives of the Archdiocese of Seattle.