Cornerstone Time Capsule
Stories of St. Edward
The Cornerstone Time Capsule was laid in a ceremony on October 13, 1930. The formal dedication of Saint Edward Seminary was held on October 13, 1931, exactly one year from the laying of the cornerstone, at a ceremony attended by more than fifteen thousand community members. The guest of honor, Dennis Cardinal Dougherty of Philadelphia, led a procession of twelve bishops and other clergy around the entire building, after which congratulatory telegrams from Pope Pius XI and the Superior General of the Sulpicians were read.
Apostolic Delegate to the United States, Cardinal Pietro Fumasiono-Biondi at cornerstone laying ceremony.
Photograph courtesy the Archives of the Archdiocese of Seattle.